Operations Manager is software that helps you monitor devices on a network. Operations Manager can manage a variety of devices using client-based monitoring or client-less monitoring. Operations Manager is made up of the following components:
- Management Server – Provides a front-end to the database and communicates with agents
- Operational Database – Short-term storage of management data
- Data Warehouse Database – Long term storage of management data
- Reporting Server – Builds and presents reports
- Agents – A service that is installed on a computer the collects and analyses data
All components can be installed on a single server or the components can be on separate servers. Obviously, the single-server environment is designed for pre-production environments.
More than one Management Server can be installed and they will automatically load-balance. A specialised type of Management Server called a Gateway Server provides management of untrusted domains.
Management Packs are used to define what information is collected for a specific application or service. Agents determine which Management Packs are applicable to a computer immediately after being installed.
Next up, I will install Operations Manager.